Regional Learning and Development Coordinator (South West)
(January 2019 - August 2023)
The Methodist Church
Howard worked for the Learning Network of The Methodist Church covering from Gloucestershire and Wiltshire in the North to Cornwall and Devon in the South - so a pretty massive area!
The purpose of the role was;
To coordinate those responsible for learning and development in the South West Region, through shared leadership of the Learning Network (LN) which aims to;
- Nurture and equip Christ-like disciples
- Challenge and equip mission-shaped communities
- Form and equip those who share in lay and ordained ministry
- Enable and encourage creative thinkers in an environment of scholarship and innovation.
- Leading the development of online delivery during and following the pandemic - including hosting various conferences in person, online and hybrid
- Supporting the transition of the Advanced Safeguarding course from in person to an interactive, online, self paced learning portal and administering this across the country. Howard produced and/or edited all the videos to a consistent standard and set up the online hosting of these. This course got particularly good feedback from professionals in other areas of safeguarding.
- Supervisory support of Presbyters under the Methodist Church's reflective supervision programme 'Responsible Grace'
- Delivery of Mental Health First Aid training as an accredited trainer with Mental Health First Aid England
- Delivery of Positive Working Together courses promoting Growing Through Change and Conflict, and Spirituality, Scripture and Conflict.
- Professional reviews of Plymouth Methodist Central Hall and The Methodist Centre, Bristol.
- Hosting an international Online webinar exploring and Introduction to Transgender Language
- Serving as part of the working group on the statistical and research elements of the Justice, Dignity and Solidarity strategy.
- Co-leader of a hybrid conference looking at Racial Justice
- Delivering a monthly e-newsletter which secured the highest subscription and engagement rates in the Learning Network
- Planner and Keynote speaker for Safeguarding Conferences in Plymouth and Exeter District.
- Support for Synods, including in person and hybrid delivery.
- Membership and support to various committees across the region including 3 District Safeguarding Groups, 2 District Policy Committees and the Devon Churches Rural Partnership.